This hanging string garden reminds me of something out of Zoolander if Mugatu went through a rustic phase. In short, I think it’s really cool and you should do it.
Check out the how-to in 10 Inexpensive DIYs for Summer on Design*Sponge.
Seriously, stop scaring your overnight guests with your ugly nightstand. It’s doing nothing for your love life. No more excuses! -EL
So simple, yet so genius. BRB, gotta go buy five more pairs of glasses. -MB
Why are we dancing? Because it’s a holiday weekend AND you can enter The Great TOH Giveaway for your chance at lots of free stuff. So even if you couldn’t go away for Labor Day, you could win big! -EL
Want to make your face Tumblr-worthy? Go forth and wallpaper your nooks! And then send them to us! -EL
So maybe sometimes it feels like your kitchen is attacking you with its ugly appliances and horrible layout. (Teeny apartments, amirite guys?) Alas, there’s something you can do that won’t make you wish your appliances were killing each other. Enter The Great TOH Giveaway daily thru 9/2 for your shot at a chance to outfit your subpar cook space with some sweet stuff from Bertazzoni.
Then your kitchen will have EVERYTHING: a 36” gas range in any color; 36” stainless backsplash; 36” master series commercial baffle filter range hood; 30” speed oven; and a stainless steel professional griddle. It sounds like your code to get in the door will have to be SPICY! -EL
"When I paint my walls, I also paint the wall switch and outlet plates. That way I have a "chip" I can take to the paint store to get touch-up paint that matches the actual faded color on my walls." —Barbara Schuppe, Roseland, NJ
10 Uses for Wine Corks via thisoldhouse:
Lightweight and rot-resistant, corks can do a lot more than just plug up your favorite bottle of vino. Start saving them for a few handy projects.
1. Create baseboard. Glue corks side by side onto a base of 1/4-inch MDF and cut along the long ends with a saw to an even height. Attach strips of 3/4-inch molding to the top and bottom, and nail the strip of corks to the base of your walls.
Make a Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2. Scrub a knife. To avoid scratching high-carbon kitchen knives, use a dab of cleanser and scrub the knife with a cork instead of an abrasive cleaning pad.
3. Make Some Mulch. Chop or grind corks and use the bits as moisture-retaining mulch.
4. Make a tiny sanding block. Wrap a piece of sandpaper around a cork. Use the curved surface for touch-ups on molding and other detailed items.
5. Keep artwork on an even keel. Cut a cork lengthwise into thin strips and glue them to the corners of hanging artworks. The cork will prevent them from tipping off-center.
6. Protect your blades. Glue several corks together side by side and place the strip in a drawer. Rest knife blades in the crevices to keep them sharp and protected.
7. Make a doorstop. Slice along the length of a cork at an angle and push the cork under a door to keep it from slamming shut.
8. Hush up your cabinets. Slice a cork into thin circles and glue the pieces to the inside corners of cabinet doors to quiet them when closing.
9. Safeguard your tools. Drill a hole halfway through the length of a cork. Fit the cork over the end of a pointed tool to prevent damage to it (and yourself).
10. Start a fire. Soak old corks in a jar of rubbing alcohol, then put a few in a fireplace underneath logs and newspaper. Light the corks with a long-handled starter to get the flames dancing quickly.
STOP! Well, if you’re going to strip paint from wood furniture this weekend. Read our guide first. Lest you unleash lead paint upon your roommates or mess up that amazing mid-century curb find. -EL
You aren’t really listening to music (or watching your favorite Real Housewives of Whatever) franchise unless your upstairs neighbor can hear the subtle acoustic guitar strums (or the not-so-subtle digs), too. Or at least that’s my theory. Renters can have nice things, too!
If any or all of the above applies to you, you should definitely be spending your lunch break every day thru 9/2 entering The Great TOH Giveaway. A few lazy clicks while you gobble down a PB&J (wishing it was steak) is all that’s between you and your chance at a Sonos ultimate home music experience package (seen here in all its glory) and you! -EL